I wouldn’t recommend this as a relaxing way to spend a weekend, but you have to do what has to be done. And the season for working calves is almost over.
I got a new camera that is just like a trailcam, except it is just for taking time lapse videos, and I thought I would try it out. I think the result is really fun, if not far too deceiving. It makes this look like less work than it is. So let me try to elaborate:
1. Imagine it is nearly 90 degrees, with no wind and a lot of humidity.
2. Imagine the cows are kicking up dust EVERYWHERE, and it is in your eyes, your ears, and your throat.
3. Imagine a soundtrack that goes something like this MOOOOOOO! MMMMMOOOOOO! MMMMMMOOOOOOOOOO! MMMOOO! MMMMOOOOOO! (x 100), so you have to YELL at each other all day long just to communicate.
4. Imagine there is blood and snot and manure thrown all over you, and the only good thing about that is at least it means the mosquitoes can’t bite you there where your skin is covered in gunk.
5. Imagine that as the day goes on, the distance to get the next group of cattle just keeps growing and growing, and your boots get heavier and heaver with caked on manure, and the sun gets hotter and hotter with every trip you take down to the end of the corral.
Whew. Aren’t you glad that’s over with? Me too.